The Arizona State University Center for Gender Equity in Science and Technology (CGEST) is hosting a free Leadership Academy this summer for interested undergraduate students. The Leadership Academy 2021 will meet for 3 sessions per week from July 12 – August 20, 2021. Classes will meet in the afternoon online for a 3-hour block per session. The course requires a student commitment of 15-20 hours per week, including class time, class preparation, interactive exercises, and invited speakers.
Over the 6-week period:
- You will learn to sharply identify your unique strengths, and understand how, with the right investment, they can grow into “superpowers.”
- You will get to sharpen your personal story. Personal narrative is powerful and a critical enabler to impact. You will learn how to guide others to appreciate the value you bring.
- You will learn solutions to limit the impact from stereotype threats such as micro-aggressions and isolation.
- Through working in small groups with facilitation and coaching, you will see yourself improving in a key skill area – Negotiating — and you will apply it to specific challenges in college, during internships, and in transitioning to the workplace.
- You will engage with industry leaders in online chat sessions, specifically designed to answer your questions on leadership skills, how tech and engineering managers assess potential and performance of interns and new hires, and other questions that you generate through class discussions.
Eligible students are those who fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Undergraduate students who have declared (or intend to declare) majors in computer science, technology or engineering fields.
- Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), including those from Latinx communities, women and gender minorities, LGBTQIA, first-generation college students, students with disabilities, and other marginalized groups in STEM.
- Any student at a college or university in the U.S.
Applications will remain open until all seats are filled. Please submit your application as early as possible before this time for full consideration. The last date for submission is June 10 with all students informed of decisions by June 18. The program is free of cost for students. Click the link below for more information.