Statistics for Completed Computing Degrees
How to use this app:
- Select the State/Territory, Institution Name, Degree Type, and Year you are interested in.
- Decide whether to display or aggregate the data by sex and race/ethnicity.
- Review the resulting table with generated totals and percent of completed computing degrees for each category at the institution, state, and national levels. Percentages are calculated as a given value divided by the sum of its column.
- Click on a column name to sort by that column.
- Download or copy the table to your local device by clicking the appropriate button at the top of the app.
- Hover over a row for a dynamic tooltip.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for information about the data, as well as a suggested citation.
About the data:
The data comes from the IPEDS dataset ‘Awards by 2 digit CIP code’, as accessed through Urban Institute’s Education Data Portal. The most recent four years of data available through Urban Institute are included in this app (currently: 2013-2016). Data pre-processing selected any institutions that matched all of the following criteria:
- Institution is classified as ‘public’ or ‘private not-for-profit’
- Institution is classified as ‘Four or more years’ or ‘At least two but less than four years’
- Institution awarded computing degrees – broadly defined as any area of studies falling under the CIP code of ‘11) Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services’
- Institution awarded computing degrees at the Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s, and/or Doctoral level(s)
Suggested In-text Citation:
You may use the following in-text citation: “These data are from the IPEDS dataset and are aggregated by tools provided by the Computing Research Association and Urban Institute’s Education Data Portal.”
Statistics for Completed Computing Degrees (Version [Version Number]). Computing Research Association, Center for Evaluating the Research Pipeline. Accessed [mm/dd/yyyy], https://bpcnet.org/statistics/.
Data Sources, Acknowledgements & References:
- U.S. Department of Education. Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Statistics.
- Education Data Portal (Version 0.7.0), Urban Institute, Center on Education Data and Policy, accessed April 2020, https://educationdata.urban.org/documentation/colleges.html#ipeds-awards-by-2-digit-cip-code.
- Datasets included in the Urban Institute Education Data Portal are the US Department of Education Common Core of Data, the US Department of Education Civil Rights Data Collection, the US Census Bureau Small Area Income and Poverty Estimates, the US Department of Education Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, the US Department of Education College Scorecard, and the National Historical Geographic Information System.